Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Winding Down the School Year

It's almost my favorite time of year!!! Summer break is rapidly approaching. No homework, no waking up at the crack of dawn, no lunch making duties. The only schedule we will have to worry about is an occasional practice, swimming lessons, and getting ready for vacation. Life will be good. In the meantime, May is filled with multiple activities in an effort to get it all in before summer. We started May with the Mother's Day Tea at preschool. That day also happened to be Isabella's Shining Star Day, and pretend Birthday. All the summer birthday kids have a random day in May to celebrate their birthdays at school so that they don't miss out on a party. It's very confusing to try to explain this to a 4 year old; but whatever. I just go along with what the teacher tells me to do.


Because it was Isabella's "birthday" and shining star day, I got to be the helper that day. It's a big deal to be the shining star. The kid gets to dress the weather bear, pick a science subject to talk about, feed the turtles, use the pointer during the alphabet, and hold the flag while the class says the Pledge of Allegiance. They also get to be the line leader for the entire day. It's very cool.


The last hour of class, all the moms came back, and we got to enjoy a great show of songs, and make a craft with our child and then have ice cream sundaes. The day couldn't have been more perfect.






Shea is running track again this year. I have only been to 3 meets this year. She pulled a leg muscle early on, and was out for most of the season. I thought for sure she would want to quit since she couldn't practice the running exercises, but she stuck it out. Now that she is back, her coach has her running the 100 Meter dash, the 200 M and the 4x100 relay. The 100 M is most definitely her favorite. Saturday was the conference meet for the JV team, and she took first place in the 100 M! We were so excited for her! Not too shabby for a girl who missed half the season!
(Shea is the one with the gray thick head band)






Prom was the next big event to hit our household. I remember prom being a really big deal. Just a few steps down from planning your wedding. When I was a Junior, my friend and I searched high and low for the right dress and neither of us could find what we were looking for. She (being the creative one) came up with the idea that she was going to design her dress and pay someone to make it for her. I though that was a fabulous idea and I happened to have a live-in seamstress that I just knew would want to do nothing more that to make me a prom dress. So my mom and I scoured the patterns at Jo-Ann Fabric's and found an idea that I liked and she went to work. The dress turned out spectacular, and NO ONE had a dress like mine. A week or so before prom, my boyfriend and I broke up. I begged him to take me anyway just so I could wear the dress. We went, and I had to listen to him make derogatory comments to me all night long and had a horrible time. It was a huge price to pay just to wear a dress, and definitely not worth it. But try telling that to a 17 year old. 

Taylor tried this dress on 4 times before she finally decided on it. Every time someone would tell her that they liked the other dress better, her face would drop. On our 4th time, we had 1 hour to spend at the mall. I told her to take this dress off so that we could go try on the other one at a different store. She wouldn't take the dress off! She kept staring at herself in the mirror and swaying her dress back and forth. I said, "This is ridiculous! You love this dress. Your decision is made - just buy the dress!" So she did, and she was ecstatic. Isn't she stunning?
 



Taylor has 4 1/2 inch heels on, and she's not that short. Her boyfriend is just really tall! I feel like a shrimp next to him!





The day after prom was Mother's Day. We had our annual brunch at a really cool place downtown with my family. As always, it was fantastic!


Later that afternoon, we went to my In-Laws for dinner. This is the only picture I have of the day, because my Mother-in-law has an aversion to photographs lately, so I honored her wishes being Mother's Day and all.

Just a few more events before it's officially summer, and it can't come soon enough! This summer is chock full of fun activities, and I can't wait to get started!

No comments: