Sunday, August 21, 2011

Hilton Head - 2011

I am somewhat behind on the goings-on at our house for the last month. School starts in a couple days and I still need to talk about our vacation that we took 4 weeks ago.

Since Taylor was about 5 months old, we have been going to Hilton Head, South Carolina every other year with my parents, and my sister and her family. About 4 years ago, we invited my cousin and his wife to join us, and they have been coming ever since. We rented a huge house within a short walk to the beach. Our agenda was pretty much the same thing every day. Eat, beach, pool, eat, nap, bike ride, eat, laugh, shop, eat. You get the idea. What's not to enjoy about a vacation like that? Aparently a lot when you're my teenage daughters, whose only job was to have fun and get along with everyone. They definitely failed the second task, and I'm not really sure the first one was met either....It's so hard to be my kids! You must go on vacation where you will spend none of your own hard earned money, you will stay in a mansion for an entire week where there will be every accomodation you could possibly think of at your fingertips. (Including a private elevator) You will spend your days at the beach or pool, whichever you shall choose, and you will be provided with any type food and beverage your little beating heart desires. Yes, I know, it is utter misery, which clearly bled from their pores. This is the story of my life these days. Let's all have a pity party for me. Awwww.......Poor, poor me.

Anyway, I had fun and the little kids had a blast with their cousins. The 4 little kids were inseperable, which also meant that much of their time was spent ransacking Nick's and my room, since that's where all the toys were. But man oh man, did they have fun!

The car ride down was not too bad. We drove for about 8 hours the first day and stayed overnight in Cornelius, North Carolina. Every one was pretty happy. The little kids had their movies and the big kids had their Ipods. We had tons of snacks and candy.

The drive home was horrendous. We drove the whole way in one day so that we would have all day Sunday to be home and get settled. Nicholas started whining around the 2 hour mark and didn't stop until we got home. We got stuck in a 2 1/2 hour traffic jam, saw a car completely engulfed in flames and Nicholas threw up at 10:30 at night, 3 hours from home. The memories still haunt me.




Every morning we went to the beach and the kids played in the sand and water for hours with not one complaint. They all shared their toys and got along so well.









My cousin was such a good sport and let the kids bury him in the sand. His own children tried to bury his head too, so we had to move them to the bottom of his body. We all had a great laugh at his expense though!

My cousin's daughter and Isabella could easily pass for sisters. When they both had their sunglasses on and hair in a ponytail, it was hard to tell them apart from a distance. Both also have some serious sassy pants issues.




This year, my sister brought the Wii and we brought some games and extra controllers. What a great idea! The kids had their own little living area upstairs and all the kids could hang out there and watch TV or play the Wii. The four little ones had so much fun playing Just Dance. A first for all of them.




We went out 2 nights for dinner and the rest of the evenings, we stayed home and took turns cooking a meal. We always go to our two favorite places - The Salty Dog at South Beach and Harbor Town.













I'm not sure, but if December roles around and I don't get a good picture of my children, this one might make the Christmas card cut.


No comments: