Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Little Gymnast

Isabella has been asking me for about a year if she could start gymnastics classes. Last year she had a really goofy schedule for preschool. Even though she was only there for a couple hours, it was 3 days a week, and smack in the middle of the day. I am not the type of mom who jam packs my kids in tons of activities. We need home-time with no schedule where we can just play and hang out. I made it a pretty hard rule that we would not have any other activities on school days, which left the other 2 days a week. The only gymnastics classes available on those 2 days was with a male teacher. She's a little better now, but she is not a big fan of men. (Unless they are related, of course.) I could not have gotten her to take a class with a man if my life depended on it. So, we had to wait.

This fall, I found a class at a great time in the morning, on a day off from school, and it's at a gym in an Amish town. (I have an obsession with Amish people as you may have learned from an earlier post.) And, if you're wondering, as my Dad  mockingly asked - No, Amish kids do not take gymnastics. Shockingly, there are "worldly folks" like ourselves that live and work in that town.

Isabella was so excited about gymnastics that she jumped up and down from the building all the way to our car yelling "that was awesome!!" She got to jump on a trampoline, swing from a huge rope, work on the bars, the beam and practice tumbling. There are only 3 other girls in her class, so the teacher gets to spend a lot of time on each girl. She is having so much fun and counts the days to when she gets to go back.


No comments: