Thursday, July 30, 2009

So Cute

Every summer, we hang a basket on our side deck, and for 3 years in a row, we have had a bird take up residence in my plant. I usually find her when I spray the plant with the hose and she flies out in a frenzy to the nearest tree, squawking at me violently like I'm a crazed egg killer. Last year and the year before, I chose to not water the plant and let it die because I was afraid I would drown the eggs. This year, I resolved to not let a dried up dead plant hang on our porch for a month until the eggs hatched and the birds flew away so that I could throw the thing away. Instead, I filled a small pitcher and gingerly watered the plant every other day ever so carefully so as not to disturb the eggs/babies. All the while profusely apologizing to the angry bird screaming at me from the nearby tree.

Taylor and I checked on the nest every day and after about 3 weeks the eggs hatched. Within 2 weeks, the mother was across the yard urging the babies out of the nest to fly to her and eventually leave for good. It was so cool to watch, and I got some really cute pictures of the babies. The last picture was the day before they left the nest.






No comments: