Thursday, January 29, 2009

Our Winter House Guest


My parents left today for Florida. They rented a condo for the next 5 weeks in attempt to escape the winter. They used to leave the last week of January after Paige's birthday and return the first week of March just before Taylor's birthday. I remember telling Nick that we can absolutely positively not have a baby in February because it is the only month my parents can get away. Low and behold, Nicholas arrived almost dead center in the middle of February. My parents were able to push there trip last year up so that they were here for his birth, but missed Paige's birthday. This year, they are flying home for the weekend of Nicholas' birthday so they can celebrate his first birthday with us. From what they have said, for the next years to come, they will alternate the birthdays of the grand kids that they miss so that they do not miss a child's birthday two years in a row.


When they travel, we keep their 11 year old Black Lab, Abby. She's a very good dog, and loves being here with the kids. It's the least I can do since the dog used to be ours. I bought her in Texas 6 months before I divorced Taylor's and Shea's Dad. My parents graciously agreed to keep Abby at their house until I bought my own home. Well, by the time that happened, my parents couldn't let her go. She had become theirs. She is my Dad's third daughter. He walks her EVERY NIGHT all the way down their street whether it's a heat wave, a rain storm or a blizzard. She follows him around the yard when he's outside and stays close to him in the house.


Isabella is in Heaven with her here. She thinks Abby is her newest playmate, and shares toys, blankets and food with her. Yesterday she asked Abby if she would like to have Macaroni and Cheese with her. Of course, Abby said "Yes please, that would be lovely". Nicholas is amazed how quickly the food disappears from his hands when he hangs them over the sides of his high chair. I think Abby is going to need a serious diet when she leaves in March.

No comments: