Sunday, November 14, 2010

Halloween 2010

This was the first year that we only had 2 kids trick or treating. Poor Taylor had to work, and Shea decided that at her ripe old age of 14, she was beyond that stage of her life. She did walk with us and help the little kids get candy. And they both helped eat the candy.

This year Isabella decided to be Jasmine from the Disney movie "Aladdin". The costumes at the Disney Store are really awesome, and are made really well, but they are really expensive. If you wait till the week before Halloween, they usually mark their costumes off by 50%. Once we got to the Disney Store, Isabella took one look at the Ariel costume and immediately changed her mind. I reminded her that she was Ariel 2 years ago, but she didn't care. So we picked out the dress, the crown and a necklace and checked out. Wouldn't you know it that darn Ariel was not on sale?? I started to tell the lady that we needed to re-evaluate, but Isabella in her sweetest Isabella voice said "But Mommy, I just love Ariel so much. I will be the best Ariel ever!!" How do you say no to that? I'm a weakling - I couldn't say no. So 50 buckaroos is what I paid for that darn dress. Jasmine, by the way, was 50% off. (Wait, it gets better)

The day before her Halloween party at preschool, she kindly tells me that she thinks she likes Jasmine better, because Ariel is too itchy. I was slightly irritated, but was a little excited that I was going to spend less money. So we went back to the mall, exchanged Ariel for Jasmine, and I received a $30 credit on my charge. I was excited, she was excited, it was a good morning. ON THE WAY HOME......she started bawling her eyes out because she missed Ariel and wanted to be her for Halloween. I drove straight to the nearest mental facility and checked myself in. No I didn't. Instead I screamed my head off at her like some lunatic for a good 20 minutes and said that she was going to be Jasmine or I was pulling out her old Sleeping Beauty costume from last year and she'd have to suffer through being the same princess 2 years in a row. She saw the light and decided that Jasmine was pretty cool. I threw in some gold glitter and bright pink lipstick for good measure.




I thought it would be fun to let Nicholas decide what he wanted to be and gave him a catalog to look through that I had received in the mail. I had visions of him is some cute, cozy little lion suit or a giraffe or something cuddly and adorable. This is what he chose from the catalog.



It was the scariest, most grotesque costume that came in a little kid's size. I said Ummm, No!! We battled for a little while until I found a dinosaur costume in the catalog and convinced him that dinosaurs were scary because they could eat people. Easy peasy - he was going to be a dinosaur. Then we went to a costume store and he saw Spider Man. It was like the costume had a halo of light around it and a choir was singing. Spider Man was the winner. He wore it everyday. It had chocolate stains and a hole in the armpit by Halloween. 



We trick or treated in our old neighborhood again, which has become tradition. Nick's brother and his family still live there so we always get together at their house. My nephew Joseph (8) was the Scream guy, and my other nephew, Anthony (6) was Darth Vader.

No comments: