Friday, February 11, 2011

Easy Valetine's Day Craft

I found this idea in my Family Fun magazine. It was easy and fun and they look really cool when they are done.

Supplies

A heart shaped cookie cutter (I bought 3 different sizes)
Yarn (I used pink, white and red) cut into 12 inch peices
1/4 cup corn starch
1/2 cup water
Wax paper or parchment paper
Ribbon 

Cook the corn starch and the water until it gets thick. I made several batches and mine went from runny to thick and goopy immediately, so I added another 1/4 cup of water after I took the pan off the heat. I stirred it until I had the right consistency. 

Take your yarn peices and dip them into the corn starch mixture once it has cooled. Remove any excess cornstarch by running your finger and thumb over the yarn. Coil them inside the heart until enough yarn has taken the shape of the heart. Press down on all the yarn so it lays flat inside the cookie cutter. Carefully remove the cookie cutter and let the yarn hearts sit for at least 24 hours. Ours took 2 days to completely dry. 

Once dry, tie a ribbon through the heart and hang it on your window.





No comments: