Monday, February 21, 2011

Nicholas is 3!!

Thursday was Nicholas's 3rd birthday. I'm a little sad about this for a couple reasons. One, my little baby is getting farther and farther from being a baby and it's happening too quickly. I just signed him up for preschool last month for the fall for gosh sakes! Secondly, 3 is one of my least favorite ages for a child. Everyone talks about 2 year olds negatively. I LOVE 2 year olds. Thats when they start coming into their personalities. They make choices. They have distictive likes and dislikes. You can talk to 2 year olds and usually get a response back. They are still baby-ish enough that you can hold them and cuddle them, and squeeze their squishy bodies. 3 year olds have attitides and use them regularly. They throw horrendous temper tantrums and it's not so easy to distract them from what they are throwing that tantrum about.  And there is no logic to the tantrum. (In my eyes, at least!) 5 out of 7 mornings, Nicholas wakes up and asks for candy for breakfast. I tell him the same thing every morning. Uh, No; and every morning, he drops to the ground and screams his head off because he can't have candy. It's very frustrating.


Nevertheless, I love this little guy so much and he still makes my heart burst when some of the things come out of his mouth. Like, how no matter what he's doing he will stop just so I can hear him sing Jack & Jill. (I will get it on video and post it, I promise) Or how when I ask for a kiss, he says "Don't kit my ghin, only my head". Translation: Don't kiss my skin, only my head. Or how he asks me to press the imaginary button on his chest, and when I do he says in his most fearful, deepest, loud voice, " I am Iron Man!!" Let me tell you, when I was given this boy, I got a good one.


For his birthday, Nick took the day off, which I was elated about, and we took the little kids to the Children's Museum. I have never been there, and man, oh, man did we have fun.

Unfortunately, Taylor and Shea were in Baltimore with their Dad for a leadership seminar, and couldn't be here to celebrate the day.











Isabella went on this climbing thing, and we were absolutely shocked. If you know her, you know that this is a huge accomplishment for her. This is the same kid who screamed like a wild lunatic last year in the Burger King playland (in front of all her preschool friends) because she was afraid of the climbing thing.

She had a little trouble when she got to the top and couldn't figure out how to get down, so a very kind little boy climbed up and showed her how to come down. After that, she was good to go and went up and down like a pro 3 or 4 more times after that. We were so proud!



On our way home, we had lunch at Presti's, my favorite Italian bakery, in Little Italy.  



When we got home, it was the moment this kid had been waiting for since Christmas. Present time!! You can see he is bubbling over with excitement! Don't you love the ring of chocolate around his mouth?



Instead of cake, he wanted brownies for his birthday dessert.



I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day aside from his 2 oldest sisters not being able to share it with him. Nicholas Joseph, you are my favorite little guy in the whole wide world, and I will kiss you skin. A lot. Happy Birthday, big boy!

No comments: