Thursday, July 3, 2008

Nicholas' First Attempt at Cereal


For about 4 weeks, Nicholas went from sleeping 7 hours at night to waking up every 2-3 hours. Nick and I feel like we have a newborn again. The pediatrician thinks he is waking up hungry, and said to try giving him cereal at night to see if we could get him to last a little longer in between feedings. He really liked the cereal, and did pretty good keeping it in his mouth. Nick and I went to bed at 11:00, hoping that we would not hear from him until morning. Well, no such luck. He was up at 1:30 and 4:30. At 4:30 he would not go back to sleep in his crib, so he spent the next 4 hours in his swing.

Since the cereal did not work, we have to go to plan B. The doctor also said that Nicholas should be going to bed awake, so that he can fall asleep on his own. She said that when he wakes up in the middle of the night, he should be able to go back to sleep on his own. Therefore, we have to start putting him in his crib awake, and letting him cry for awhile until he falls asleep. Then, if he wakes up in the middle of the night, we have to let him cry for a while. This is my least favorite thing to do, and I have never done this on any of the kids this early. However, none of the other kids were getting up every 3 hours at this age either. So, we are going to try it, and I will be a stressed out ball on tension the entire time. Hopefully it will work very quickly, so that I am not tempted to cave in.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Good luck Sandy. I could never do that either. It breaks my heart. Patrick has been really hungry the last week too...maybe it's just a growth spurt. I'm not very encouraging, am I?

Anonymous said...

How did this work out? My 7 month old recently started waking at 2 and at 4 AM every night!!! She's slept through the night since she was 2 mos.