Friday, September 5, 2008

Pet Peeve

I have this thing about Thank You Notes and what should be written in them. It is especially bothersome when the person is thanking me for a wedding or shower gift. I received a thank you note yesterday from Nick's cousin and his wife whose wedding we attended in June. They are much younger than us and are in their early twenties. I was pleasantly surprised at the content of the note. The bride thanked us for not only attending the wedding, but traveling the two hours to get there. She then thanked us for the gift, which happened to be money, and told us what they planned to do with the money. Technically, one is supposed to send out thank you notes within 2 months of the wedding, but I will let the 2 week delay slide. To be honest, it was kind of a pain in the neck to go to the wedding, and the few months leading up to the wedding were slightly dramatic. I was very happy with the decision to go to the wedding, and after receiving the thank you note, I feel even more satisfied with our decision.

On the other hand, Nick and I attended another wedding where the couple was in their late thirties. We received a thank you note 4 MONTHS LATER that said something like thank you for coming to our wedding and thank you for the votive. Sincerely, Blah, blah, blah & Blah, blah, blah. I personally went to the mall, walked around Pottery Barn during the Christmas season while being 7 months pregnant, and dragged my 16 month old with me, who hates shopping more than anyone I know. I found a very beautiful vase (NOT a votive!) I made a separate trip to Target for a card and wrapping paper. We had to find a babysitter for Isabella, and had to block out the entire afternoon and evening to be at the wedding. Could she not think of anything more witty to say? I don't care if it's the ugliest gift you've ever received. LIE! It makes you look tacky and ungrateful otherwise.

How refreshing it is to see that there are some parents out there that are teaching their children the importance of courtesy and manners. I feel like sending Nick's cousin a card thanking them for the thank you card. When my kids get married, I am going to proof read their thank you notes before they are sent out!

No comments: