Tuesday, September 30, 2008

To Keep the Child Home or Not to.........

I have not yet mastered the the ability to determine if my children are too sick to go to school. Even though I have been home for 2 years, I am still a fairly new stay at home mother when you consider that I worked from the time Taylor and Shea were 2 and 4 until they were 10 and 12. The man I used to worked for was an Ogre. He had no thought or consideration for any one's personal life. We were there to work, and we were there to work hard. Family was secondary to all else. Therefore, in order to keep the peace and refrain from getting verbally attacked, unless someone was profusely vomiting, I used to call my mom at 6:30 in the morning and ask if I could bring the kids to her house. She was always willing to drop everything and help me whenever she could, to which I will always be grateful. 2 years ago, when I quit my job to stay home with the kids, it became very easy to stay home if you were the kid, and very easy to keep the kid home of you were me. I was getting completely taken advantage of. So, last year, I decided to be a little tougher. If they didn't have a fever, or weren't throwing up, I sent them to school. As a result, usually 1 hour later, I would receive a call from the nurse asking me to come pick up my sick kid.

This year, I need to find a happy medium. Shea has stayed home twice already, and school has only been in session for a little over a month. There is no doubt that she didn't feel that great when she woke up, but I also think that she probably could have survived the 7 hours at school. The next time she is sick, I might just have to send her and hope for the best. It might teach her a lesson. And at least if I get a call an hour later, I'll know that she REALLY is sick!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I feel for you there. That is the hardest decision. Many times in the morning Evan would wake up and say his stomach didn't feel too good. Well when you say it all the time it kind of loses it's effect. Well one morning I got a call from the nurse saying Evan threw up in the classroom. I felt horrible. It is so hard to figure that one out. It always will be. We are not in their bodies so we can never tell.

Renee