Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The First Day of School

Today was the first day back to school for Taylor and Shea. I dropped Taylor off first in front of the High School. She is already on the small side, but when she walked by a large group of guys, who all looked about 6 feet tall, she looked completely out of place. I can't believe this kid is in High School already. I hope she does okay. I waited the appropriate amount of time, and did not dawdle to watch her walk into the school. As soon as the car door closed, I drove away, biting my lower lip. Shea is in her old stomping grounds since this is her second year at the middle school. I have nothing to worry about with her. She is very confident and outgoing and walked into the school like she owned the place.

For all you people who were counting the days before school started, I don't share your feelings. I am bummed out that they are back in school. I am going to miss them being home. I enjoyed hanging out with them this summer, and they were a big help with the little kids. I liked the relaxed, non-regimented days. I will not lie; we had our days where I was ready to pull my hair out, but I have those days all year round whether they're in school or not. The summer flew by, and I didn't get to do nearly all the things I wanted to do with the kids. I feel like I missed out on half the summer because they were gone so long on vacation with their Dad. For those of you who are lucky enough not to have to share your kids with someone else, count your blessings. It stinks when they are gone for days at a time, and your only form of communication is text messaging.

OK, I am done feeling sorry for myself. On a lighter note, Shea has her second Cross Country meet this afternoon. Her first one was on Saturday at 7:00AM. We got home from the Jonas Brother's concert at 1:15 on Friday, and had to wake up at 6:15 to get her to the school before the bus left. After 5 hours of sleep, she did not run her best time, and was very discouraged with herself. Today, I think she will do much better, and I am excited to see her run again. Taylor, Isabella, Nicholas and I will all be there to cheer her on. Hopefully Isabella doesn't embarrass her and start running after her calling her name! She is going to be confused as to why Shea is running away from her.

No comments: