Thursday, August 7, 2008

My Favorite Summer Activity




Yesterday we spent the afternoon at my parents house swimming in the pool. Taylor and my Mom each tried fervently to get Isabella and Nicholas to fall asleep on the cushions, while Shea played bartender in the pool serving us all make-believe tropical drink concoctions.

There always seems to be some crazy event that happens at my mom and dad's house, and yesterday was no exception. My parents deck umbrella seems to attract bats for some reason. So, when we got there, we carefully raised the umbrella so that a bat would not fly out at us. Sure enough, there was a bat at the peak of the umbrella, but he would not come out. We wanted to have lunch outside, but there was no way we were going to sit at the table with a bat hanging upside down above our heads. Taylor and my dad decided to shoo him away with a broom. I was in the other room at the time changing Nicholas' diaper, when I heard the screaming. I walk into the kitchen to see my sister watching from inside, standing at the door screaming and laughing, and my Dad and Taylor outside waving a broom in the air and ducking, because the bat was flying erratically around their heads, trying to get back under the umbrella.
We all joked later that we should have brought the bat home and told Nick that we had a new animal that we needed to foster.

No comments: